Friday, September 2, 2016

The Seven Fishes

Every Christmas Eve, my family serves the traditional Italian dinner most commonly referred to as “the seven fishes.” It is the most traditional and basic of all the Italian meals served. It consists of seven fishes, hence the name, but the most common fishes used are anchovies, cod, squid (calamari), and tuna. The remaining seven are interchangeable. This is my absolute favorite meal of the year and I am very proud to admit it.

            My family is very open and inviting to the rest of our family and our neighbors. Every year, we have people over that are not traditional Italians like us. We serve the same meal, with generally the same family members, despite who we invite over. Unlike the short story we read, “Fish Cheeks,” I embrace the environment and everything that comes with it. I love indulging in the tedious preparation process. Starting with making the drive to the overly crowded strip district to buy the fresh fish and then ending with helping my mom serve the dishes onto the dining room table buffet style for everyone to grab as they please. By the end of the night, there won’t be a single person who doesn’t appreciate the quality and the taste of the food.

            While the preparation and the quality of the dishes are exceptional, it is not what makes this night stand out to me. This night, Christmas Eve, stands out to me because I get to spend hours with my closest family and friends bonding and sharing our most treasured experiences. Yeah, we might be able to do this any night over a fire or a night in the backyard, but nothing lasts like this one does, and I believe it is because we are all enjoying the wonder of my Mom’s cooking mixed with the magic of Christmas Eve. Thanks to my Mom, I never want to spend a Christmas Eve anywhere else. She has spoiled me; and I believe this largely has to do with her exceptional cooking. The meal every year is out of this world.

            While we have friends over every year that are not Italian, I am not afraid to show who I truly am and I am certainly not afraid to show them how we eat. No matter what dishes my Mom chooses each year, they always end up to be delicious. In addition, despite how crazy and how loud my family may be, it doesn’t bother me because they are seeing me and my family for who we really are and at those are the people they should truly get to meet.


            Our loud and rambunctious Christmas Eve experiences are like no other and they are something that I don’t want to say goodbye to any time soon. But, what I will say, is that without the company of food, specifically my Mom’s outstanding cooking, they wouldn’t be the same. They would be missing something that we all can bond over. Without the food, we’d be sitting around talking, with no recipes to share, and no bragging to do over who can cook each meal better. Without it, this night would just be like any other plain and uneventful night. But, thanks to a Mom and a family with an incredible taste, it is not like any other night. Instead, it is what makes this night my favorite night of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment