Sunday, October 23, 2016

Night

            What does it really mean to be happy, to be at peace? From my experience so far, I’ve found that the best way to achieve this is by finding these feelings in their purest and simplest forms. For me, there is no better example than a crackling fire away from civilization, where the stars shine so bright it is impossible to be afraid of the night. I’ve been around the outdoors much more than most throughout my twenty years on this earth and I’ve grown very appreciative of the nights where I get to do this. There was a night this summer in early August where I laid in the bed of a pickup truck listening to the dying flames of our once roaring fire, while staring up into the night sky unwilling to fall asleep. Never before had I been able to see the Big Dipper or Orion’s belt as clearly as I was able to in that moment. As I laid motionless in the heart of the Allegheny National Forest, I experienced a truly revitalizing moment. It wasn’t the s’mores or the company that made this night so special, but instead the pure beauty I was surrounded by. When I was around ten or eleven, my Dad told me how important it was to find ways to escape just like this because living life day by day without being at peace is not a way that I was going to want to live. Now, I am starting to figure out what that actually means because I find myself thinking about nights like this one more and more often and just the thought of these nights soothes me more than anything else can.

#HappinessInTheSimplestForm

#LightTheNight

#SearchingForPeace


















1 comment:

  1. Grading breakdown:

    3.5/4 for intro (2 for framing a "feeling" or emotion. You do a really good job of crafting a narrative which explains what "peace" or happiness means for you.) (1.5 for grammar/writing mechanics and other concerns; I think you could have addressed your photographs more in the intro. For example, it would have been helpful for you to explain the ordering of your photos. The organization of your sentences may in fact help convey this aspect of your photo essay, but you talk about the crackling fire before you talk about s'mores, so the ordering doesn't seem "logical" from your sentence organization.)
    2.5/3 for photos (good overall; the focus in the first seems to be more on the hand, which is centered, while the s'more is slightly offset to the right; is this what you intended, to make the hand the focal point rather than the s'more?) (This is simply a note on composition that you can use to improve photo composition in the future)
    3/3 for hashtags (specific yet also common enough phrases to be functional)

    Total: 9/10
    Letter Grade: A-

    ReplyDelete