Thursday, December 8, 2016

Australian Teens Try American Cereal & Australians Try Australian-American Food

            The purpose of these two videos is two highlight the difference between American and Australian foods as well as point out the inaccuracy of America's representation of Australian food. While I expected there to be significant differences between the two cultures, I did not expect the Australians to be completely unaware of the American cereal brands. In the video, the Australian teens were presented cap’n crunch, cookie crisp, trix, reeses puffs, lucky charms, and cinnamon toast crunch and not one of the kids had ever heard any a single one of these cereals. On the other hand, the kids' reactions when they tried the foods from Outback Steakhouse did not surprise me at all!

           In both videos, the kids were separated into groups and given different foods to try. It was pretty safe to say the reactions were mixed. For cereal video, we saw people expressed amazed and concerned reactions. Some of the kids said they had never tasted something so good and that they good eat the cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner while other reactions were not as high. These people said that the cereal was just a fast track to diabetes. They may be on to something because I think they were given the most sugary cereals America has to offer. Particular reactions that stuck out to me was the girl’s reaction to Cookie Crisp. She said, “It’s just cookies in a bowl? Why am I eating cookies in a bowl for breakfast?” I’ve never been much in to cookie crisp so I had never thought about that but it’s true. Why are we eating cookies for breakfast? Another great reaction came from the first cereal they tried, cap’n crunch. The guy said, “It’s like the cornflakes we had when we were younger, but instead of putting sugar on it like we did, you actually have to try to take sugar off, there is just too much.” Again, I’ve never been a huge fan of cap’n crunch but he pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one. I saw reactions very similar to this in the second video about Outback and its link to Australian culture, however, maybe slightly more negative. The Australians didn't like most of the food, saying repeatedly, "This isn't Australian!" Then even the food they liked, they reinforced the idea that it isn't Australian. They were particularly amazed by the "bloomin onion," saying its incredibly gross and greasy and not Australian in any way! However, surprisingly, some people did actually like it. So unlike the cereal video, the reactions to the taste of the Outback food was not so good.

            After watching the American cereal video, I can honestly say I can't relate to their reactions. I mean obviously I know these cereals are loaded with sugar, but still, I never had the same dumbfounded reaction most of them did when they tried the cereals for the first time. Maybe it was just because I was introduced to them at a younger age so they seemed normal to me. Either way, I hope we don’t choose to get rid of these cereals because they are perfect for a sweet snack every once in a while. For the Outback video, I have shared similar reactions. Being raised in a family that cooks authentic Italian dishes, I can very easily tell the difference between Olive Garden and a home cooked Italian meal. With that said, I can see where they are coming from in the sense that the two are just not related in any way.

Australian Teens Try American Cereal

Old post:
http://forallfoodlovers.blogspot.com/2016/09/australian-teens-tryamerican-cereal_28.html

No comments:

Post a Comment