Thursday, December 8, 2016

Conclusion

Conclusion

            I picked these five blog posts because I believe they best display my development as a writer over the course of the semester. Coming in, my creative writing and analytical skills lacked, however, these posts show my dramatic improvements in these areas. You can see this the most in my post “Night,” where I reference a night in the Allegheny National Forest. I describe how I felt throughout the night as well as describe what I saw around me. A line from this post that I find particularly telling of my improvement is, “where the stars shine so bright you can't even distinguish the difference between day and night.” Before this class, I’m not sure I would’ve been able to develop a sentence with this level of detail. This post also exemplifies my theme that profound feeling and emotion can be tied to food when I mention how even the thought of a s’more takes me back to this perfect night.
            While my other blog posts may not fit the theme that emotions are tied to food as well as this one, they all still have a moderate to strong connection. In my Proust reflection, I relate to the man’s experience in the text by forgetting the taste of a dessert that my Dad brought home until all of the sudden the memory came rushing back ten years later when I found myself eating the exact same dessert. In my local and sustainable eating post, I describe how important this is in my life because my Mom has been cooking this way for as long as I can remember. In the Australian video comparison post, each person develops a strong emotion either for or against the food that is put in front of them. Then in my voiceover post, I develop several opinions of what I am watching and elaborate on them in the script. So, all of these posts connect food with feelings, which is what this course is about.
            Another objective of the course that I feel I obtained a solid grasp of through my blog posts is being able to craft multiple genres of writing. For example, some of my posts are formal reflective and analytical works such as reviews or summaries while others are just informal free-writes. This is definitely a skill that I will be able to take with me and apply daily life moving forward.

            The blog posts were key in understanding the key concepts of this course. It made me aware of how feelings and emotions tie into food, informed me of the many genres of writing that exist and how to become more familiar with them, and ultimately, how to effectively edit a piece of writing so that the finished copy stands out from the original draft. These skills will prove to be very beneficial in my future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment