Thursday, December 8, 2016

How Sustainable and Local Eating Has an Impact in My life

How Sustainable and Local Eating Has an Impact in My life

Sustainability and eating locally have both played a major role in my life growing up. Before I left for college and now, when I am home from college, my mom cooks every meal at home and you can bet each one of them are cooked with fresh and almost always organic ingredients. My mom knows all the local farmers' markets and she does her best to stop at her favorites every week. The closest is just down the street at pine park, where she buys all of her produce. She won't buy it anywhere else because the taste and freshness is so much better than anything she ever bought at Giant Eagle or Shop N' Save. The other farmers' market she attends is downtown in the strip district. This one is by far our favorite because it has locally raised meats and freshly caught fish (yes, fish from western Pennsylvania). In addition, my Mom loves it when my dad and I bring back what we caught after a king day out on the water. Everyone in my family loves to fish and a couple times a year, we go out and catch as many trout as we can. This culminates with a giant fish fry including everyone in the family and all of the neighbors. These are some of my favorite nights and meals every year. 

I've been raised in an Italian family so you could say tasty, local, and sustainable food is a pretty big part of my life. In addition, I've tried a lot of different dishes and there aren't many that are better than the ones my family can cook. With that said, I'm very used to the locally grown ingredients and I don't think I would be able to get used to a diet without them. Even in college, I've continued the diet that my family instilled upon me at a very young age.

Old post
http://forallfoodlovers.blogspot.com/2016/09/how-sustainable-and-local-eating-has.html

No comments:

Post a Comment