Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Introduction
           
            Over the course of the semester in “Food, Feelings, and Film,” I learned many invaluable lessons regarding formatting and structure. For example: how to draft an annotated bibliography or how the sentence length in Proust affects how the audience understands the text. However, the most important lesson I learned is how deeply tied our emotions are to food. As the semester went along, this theme began to appear more and more. In fact, it appeared in almost every piece of writing throughout the course. I first noticed in our personal essays where I explained the Italian Seven Fish dinner and what it meant to me. After finishing the essay, I took a second to reflect on what I wrote. I realized that there was so much more to the essay then just the food. I talked about family, friends, and the magical power of Christmas. All of these emotions arouse from the thought of just one dinner.

            Moving on, the theme continued to appear whether it was in blog post assignments or even major graded assignments like our review from “Como Agua Para Chocolate.” With that said, I would say the overall theme of my blog: there are many emotions deeply tied to food, is exactly what one of the themes of the course is, which is, “Our relationships to food often evoke a wide array of emotions and engage multiple senses, sometimes all five of them at once.” This theme can best be seen in my blog posts, “How Sustainable and Local Eating Has an Impact in My Life,” “Australian Teens Try American Cereal & Australians Try Australian-American Food,” the video voiceover script,” “Night,” and the Proust post. I chose to organize these blog posts in the order in which they were first published because I believe it best displays the improvement of my descriptive writing skills throughout the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment